We believe that great athletes not only perform well on the court or field but also work hard to succeed in life. At Upward Sports, we believe in developing the total athlete - mentally, athletically, spiritually, and socially - through the 360 Progression. It is important for athletes to improve their physical abilities, but it's just as important for them to make wise decisions, discover their life's purpose, and put others needs before their own. That is what it means to Play With Purpose and to become a great athlete.
Let's take a look at 10 things great athletes do:
- Use "we" statements, not "me" statements.
- Seek out and be kind to other people less fortunate than them.
- Passionately pursue their faith.
- Actively work on developing the mental side of sports.
- Talk intelligently about hobbies and interests beyond sports.
- Volunteer time to non-profit organizations.
- Don't whine or complain in front of teammates.
- Spend quality time with friends.
- Take academics everywhere with them to study when able.
- Keep sleep patterns consistent every night of the week.
Reprinted with permission. c 2014 Mind of the Athlete, LLC. All Rights Reserved.